Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scrolling/rotating frames, iframes, or js 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipk

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2006
US
Hello, I'm trying to figure out the best way to do something, pretty much an amateur, though I've managed a couple of websites, so go easy on me. Just looking for some direction.

I want to have one part of my web page rotate through various pieces of information which would include links, images, audio/video, etc. I've been looking for the best way to accomplish this, and can probably do it in Flash, using iframe, javascript, or asp.net. There are probably others I'm not aware of.

I'm just not sure what the "best" method to use is. To give an example, msn.com has a similar effect to what I'm going for. It scrolls through the top news stories, has previous, next, and pause buttons, combination of text, images, and video, and of course if you click on anything, it stops scrolling.

You may not be interested in a CMS option, but I know that the various CMSes out there have various plugins/tools built specifically for this type of thing. Drupal is my personal favorite, and the one I know the most about.

There are literally multiple methods/tools for doing this in Drupal. Here's just one example of such, which is built into the Views module, I believe, or else is an extra that you can download with the views module:

If I remember correctly, you can use that tool to rotate/alternate amongst basically whatever you want.

Here's a discussion about a couple options there, and one of them mentioned is Views Carousel. Here's the discussion:

Not really looking for a CMS option, but your post was very helpful as it led me to a few other options, as well as giving me a few other terms to search on. I wasn't aware that this was referred to as carousel. Thanks! I was looking into the YUI, and they have a module for that, so I may move in that direction.

Any other suggestions still welcome!

I don't know that carousel would be a common term for it, but maybe it is, not really something I've searched that much on, just looked into a few options in Drupal.

I'd imagine it'd be good to just think of some key terms that might be related to such. So, things like:
flip, automation/automatic, of course carousel, transition, basic word of course, change... but makes sure to add some keywords along with that... flash (if that's the route you want to take), java, script, etc..

Thanks for the link, that looks like a good reference to keep handy, Paul.

That site does have some good stuff on it. I came across that in my search too. I think that my best bet for integrating with my current site is going to be flash. There are some downsides to every solution, but flash/actionscript seems to be the easiest way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back