Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scrolling="Auto" Horizontal scroll appears too much??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetspin

Programmer
Mar 5, 2002
Hi.

What exactly causes the horizontal scroll bar to appear when using Scrolling="Auto" with frames?

I have a top banner image frame about 950 pixels wide and will have a lower vertical scrolling frame and don't want or need the horizontal scroll bar, but have no choice to use "auto" and if I use any data wider than about 800 pixels it appears needlessly with a lot of white spaced margins. Thanks in advance! This is at 1024 resolution.

I tried marginwidth, framespacing with no luck. Is it the heading info on the html page of the lower frame?

Jetspin

.....but have no choice to use "auto"

why not? are all the banners diff. size?

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Hi.

Thanks for a reply! Maybe I am not clear or do not understand. The top frame is a fixed width graphic image about 950 pixels wide which will stay visible while the bottom frame will change to different pages. The bottom frames have images and will be veriticaly long with additional text so I need vertical scroll bars. The "auto" turns on the horizontal scroll bar when the width of the bottom gets to about 800 pixels| leaving a lot of white space on the sides. It would be nice to eliminate this as much as possible. Thanks for any more info. I'm now thinking of maybe setting the widths as percentages instead?

its due to the fac that your top frame is bigger 950 vs. bottom of 800. Scrolling is relative to the 'entire page' or better said the browser window.
one option to explor is setting the content of the bottom frame to be centered and perhaps the background of to to mach the background of the rest of tha page...this way it will 'blend' a bit better....just a tought.
In short..you can not controll V-scroll and H-scroll separeately it is controlled by the content size.
All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back