Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scroll page without losing table header 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

secretsquirrel

Programmer
Mar 22, 2001
GB
hi guys,

i have a series of pages with tables of data in them. often there are enough rows of data to make the page scroll vertically (which means the header row disappears).

can anyone tell me what i need to do to make the body of the table scroll but not the header, without using frames.

i've seen this done before, but i can't find it anywhere.

if someone could point me in the direction of an example i'd be extremely grateful.

thanks in advance,

ss

try using frames, top frame you put the header and in the lower frame you put the data.

thanks nitecrawlr, but the whole point is that i don't want to use frames - they causes all sorts of problems with column widths and column headings not lining up with column data.

how could i do it using a <div>?

the are 2 options to do this:

1. using IFRAME (inline frame), it works in IE, N6, Opera but doesn't work in NN4.x

2. dynamic scrolling layer.
This is much more complicated and needs real energy to do it working in all browsers. I can recommend you to see this: Also look through this site, excellent examples for cross-browser dhtml are there!

good luck

i've found a solution now...

i have a <div> at the top of my page containing a <table> of column headers.

underneath this i have another <div> which contains a <table> of data. the data <div> uses the css property 'overflow-y: scroll;' which means the <div> scrolls vertically to allow you to see all the data.

to get round the problem of column widths not matching up, i've used the javascript property 'offsetWidth' to find the actual width of the data columns (as they appear on screen), and i've passed this value, via an onLoad event, to the column headers.

if you're interested in this i'd be happy to post some code.

thanks,

ss

This sounds like just the sort of solution that I am looking for to solve a problem that I am having getting around frames usage. Some code would be great if you're offering!

Thanks,

Andy

here you go...

<html>
<head>
<title>non scrolling table header</title>
<script language=&quot;JavaScript&quot;>
<!--
function cellWidth()
{
for(var i = 0; i < window.scrollTable.rows[0].cells.length; i++)
{
var dataWidth = window.scrollTable.rows[0].cells.offsetWidth;

window.headTable.rows[window.headTable.rows.length - 1].cells.width = dataWidth;
}
}
// -->
</script>
</head>

<body bgcolor=&quot;#FFFFFF&quot; text=&quot;#000000&quot; onLoad=&quot;cellWidth();&quot;>
<div id=&quot;headLayer&quot; style=&quot;position: absolute; top: 20px; left: 20px; width: 434px; height: 15px;&quot;>
<table width=&quot;100%&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; cellspacing=&quot;1&quot; cellpadding=&quot;0&quot; id=&quot;headTable&quot;>
<tr style=&quot;background-color: #999999; color: #FFFFFF&quot;>
<td width=&quot;100&quot; nowrap>column 1</td>
<td width=&quot;100&quot; nowrap>column 2</td>
<td width=&quot;100&quot; nowrap>column 3</td>
<td width=&quot;100&quot; nowrap>column 4</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>
<div id=&quot;dataLayer&quot; style=&quot;position: absolute; top: 37px; left: 20px; width: 450px; height: 200px; overflow-y: scroll;&quot;>
<table width=&quot;100%&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; cellspacing=&quot;1&quot; cellpadding=&quot;0&quot; id=&quot;scrollTable&quot;>
<TR bgcolor=&quot;#DDDDDD&quot;>
<td width=&quot;100&quot;>data 1</td>
<TD width=&quot;100&quot;>data 2</TD>
<TD width=&quot;100&quot;>data 3</TD>
<TD width=&quot;100&quot;>data 4</TD>
</TR>
</TR>
</TR>
</TR>
</TR>
</TR>
</TR>
</TR>
</TR>
</TR>
</TR>
</TR>
</TR>
</TR>
</TR>
</table>
</div>
</body>
</html>

you'll notice that the columns and headers line up correctly, and if you make the contents of any of the data cells too wide for the header, the header will resize automatically.

SecretSquirrel,
The code you listed in thread:
thread215-192903
looked like it was going to help me out tremendously, but I have a question for you, if you don't mind. I tried to use it, but the column headers would not line up correctly. The scrolling worked great, but the javascript &quot;cellWidth()&quot; didn't pick up the width of the cells. When I but an alert(dataWidth) in the script, it always comes back as &quot;undefined&quot;. It happen like that in my code and in the code you pasted above. Also, when I changed the data in one of the cells, the column headers didn't change. I am posted my code below and would appreciate any help/ideas you might have. Thx in advance....Finny

<script language=&quot;javascript&quot;>
<!--

function cellWidth()
{
for(var i = 0; i < window.scrollTable.rows[0].cells.length; i++)
{
var dataWidth = window.scrollTable.rows[0].cells.offsetWidth;

window.headTable.rows[window.headTable.rows.length - 1].cells.width = dataWidth;
}
}

//-->
</script>

<meta HTTP-EQUIV=&quot;Pragma&quot; CONTENT=&quot;no-cache&quot;>
<TITLE>Procurement Forecast</TITLE>
<BODY BGCOLOR=&quot;white&quot; onload=&quot;cellWidth()&quot;>
<form id=&quot;frmProcurement&quot; name=&quot;frmProcurement&quot; action=&quot;/gdps/ProcWork.asp&quot; method=&quot;post&quot;>
<HTML>
<BODY>

<div id=&quot;headLayer&quot; style=&quot;position: absolute; top: 315 px; left: 10 px; width: 100%; height: 10 px;&quot;>
<table align=&quot;left&quot; width=&quot;99%&quot; border=&quot;1&quot; cellspacing=&quot;0&quot; cellpadding=&quot;0&quot; id=&quot;headTable&quot;>
<tr bgcolor=&quot;#eeeecc&quot;>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>Remove</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>Spass #</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>Description</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>UOM</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>Jan</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>Feb</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>Mar</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>Apr</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>May</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>Jun</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>Jul</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>Aug</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>Sep</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>Oct</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>Nov</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>Dec</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>2002 <BR>Forecasting <BR>Balance</small></td>
<td size =1 align=&quot;center&quot;><small>2003 <BR>Total</small></td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>

<div id = &quot;dataLayer&quot; style =&quot;position: absolute; top: 375 px; left: 10px; width: 100%; height: 200 px; overflow-y: scroll;&quot;>
<table width = &quot;99%&quot; border =&quot;0&quot; cellspacing = &quot;0&quot; cellpadding = &quot;0&quot; id=&quot;scrollTable&quot;>

<tr BGColor=#ffffcc>
<td align = &quot;center&quot;><input type=&quot;checkbox&quot; id=&quot;59010493chk&quot; name=&quot;59010493chk&quot; onclick=&quot;funRemove(this.name)&quot;></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><font size=1><small>&nbsp;59010493</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;268 TECHNICAL,BULK,US</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;LB</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;>&nbsp;0</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;0</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;>&nbsp;0</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><input name=&quot;59010493MO9&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;59010493MO10&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1><input name=&quot;59010493MO11&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;59010493MO12&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1>&nbsp;0</small></td>
</tr>

<tr BGColor=#eeeecc>
<td align = &quot;center&quot;><input type=&quot;checkbox&quot; id=&quot;59015002chk&quot; name=&quot;59015002chk&quot; onclick=&quot;funRemove(this.name)&quot;></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><font size=1><small>&nbsp;59015002</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;ABATE* TECHNICAL,1X551 LB,US</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;LB</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;11,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;37,478</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><input name=&quot;59015002MO9&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;59015002MO10&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1><input name=&quot;59015002MO11&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;59015002MO12&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1>&nbsp;0</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;26,455</small></td>
</tr>

<tr BGColor=#ffffcc>
<td align = &quot;center&quot;><input type=&quot;checkbox&quot; id=&quot;58820493chk&quot; name=&quot;58820493chk&quot; onclick=&quot;funRemove(this.name)&quot;></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><font size=1><small>&nbsp;58820493</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;BASAMID GRANULAR,1X50 LB, US</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;156,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;>&nbsp;156,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;148,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;30,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><input name=&quot;58820493MO9&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58820493MO10&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1><input name=&quot;58820493MO11&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58820493MO12&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;702,000</small></td>
</tr>

<tr BGColor=#eeeecc>
<td align = &quot;center&quot;><input type=&quot;checkbox&quot; id=&quot;58899154chk&quot; name=&quot;58899154chk&quot; onclick=&quot;funRemove(this.name)&quot;></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><font size=1><small>&nbsp;58899154</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;BENTAZON NA TECHN.,BULK</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;KG</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;>&nbsp;63,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;>&nbsp;236,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;235,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><input name=&quot;58899154MO9&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58899154MO10&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1><input name=&quot;58899154MO11&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58899154MO12&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;1,050,000</small></td>
</tr>

<tr BGColor=#ffffcc>
<td align = &quot;center&quot;><input type=&quot;checkbox&quot; id=&quot;58820776chk&quot; name=&quot;58820776chk&quot; onclick=&quot;funRemove(this.name)&quot;></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><font size=1><small>&nbsp;58820776</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;CYGNUS,1X20 KG,US</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;KG</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><input name=&quot;58820776MO9&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58820776MO10&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1><input name=&quot;58820776MO11&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58820776MO12&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
</tr>

<tr BGColor=#eeeecc>
<td align = &quot;center&quot;><input type=&quot;checkbox&quot; id=&quot;55891095chk&quot; name=&quot;55891095chk&quot; onclick=&quot;funRemove(this.name)&quot;></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><font size=1><small>&nbsp;55891095</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;DIMETHOMORPH TEC 70KG</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><input name=&quot;55891095MO9&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;55891095MO10&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1><input name=&quot;55891095MO11&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;55891095MO12&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
</tr>

<tr BGColor=#ffffcc>
<td align = &quot;center&quot;><input type=&quot;checkbox&quot; id=&quot;58260084chk&quot; name=&quot;58260084chk&quot; onclick=&quot;funRemove(this.name)&quot;></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><font size=1><small>&nbsp;58260084</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;Pyraclostrobin techn. (,1X240 KG,UNSPEZ.</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><input name=&quot;58260084MO9&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58260084MO10&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1><input name=&quot;58260084MO11&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;25000&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58260084MO12&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1>&nbsp;25,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;345,000</small></td>
</tr>

<tr BGColor=#eeeecc>
<td align = &quot;center&quot;><input type=&quot;checkbox&quot; id=&quot;58138703chk&quot; name=&quot;58138703chk&quot; onclick=&quot;funRemove(this.name)&quot;></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><font size=1><small>&nbsp;58138703</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;PYRAMIN DF,1X1000 KG,US</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;50,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;94,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;>&nbsp;93,500</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><input name=&quot;58138703MO9&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58138703MO10&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1><input name=&quot;58138703MO11&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58138703MO12&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;20,000</small></td>
</tr>

<tr BGColor=#ffffcc>
<td align = &quot;center&quot;><input type=&quot;checkbox&quot; id=&quot;58820615chk&quot; name=&quot;58820615chk&quot; onclick=&quot;funRemove(this.name)&quot;></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><font size=1><small>&nbsp;58820615</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;QUINCLORAC TECHN.,1X140 KG,US</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;100,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;>&nbsp;170,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;149,800</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><input name=&quot;58820615MO9&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58820615MO10&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;149800&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1><input name=&quot;58820615MO11&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58820615MO12&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1>&nbsp;149,800</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;133,000</small></td>
</tr>

<tr BGColor=#eeeecc>
<td align = &quot;center&quot;><input type=&quot;checkbox&quot; id=&quot;58820745chk&quot; name=&quot;58820745chk&quot; onclick=&quot;funRemove(this.name)&quot;></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><font size=1><small>&nbsp;58820745</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;SOVRAN,1X20 KG,US</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;30,500</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><input name=&quot;58820745MO9&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58820745MO10&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1><input name=&quot;58820745MO11&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58820745MO12&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;7,000</small></td>
</tr>

<tr BGColor=#ffffcc>
<td align = &quot;center&quot;><input type=&quot;checkbox&quot; id=&quot;58193245chk&quot; name=&quot;58193245chk&quot; onclick=&quot;funRemove(this.name)&quot;></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><font size=1><small>&nbsp;58193245</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;Stomp 455CS (RLM1109),BULK</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;L</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;114,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><input name=&quot;58193245MO9&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58193245MO10&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1><input name=&quot;58193245MO11&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58193245MO12&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;2,802,000</small></td>
</tr>

<tr BGColor=#eeeecc>
<td align = &quot;center&quot;><input type=&quot;checkbox&quot; id=&quot;59010367chk&quot; name=&quot;59010367chk&quot; onclick=&quot;funRemove(this.name)&quot;></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><font size=1><small>&nbsp;59010367</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;TRIFORINE,1X110 LB,US</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><input name=&quot;59010367MO9&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;30000&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;59010367MO10&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1><input name=&quot;59010367MO11&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;59010367MO12&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1>&nbsp;30,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;35,000</small></td>
</tr>

<tr BGColor=#ffffcc>
<td align = &quot;center&quot;><input type=&quot;checkbox&quot; id=&quot;58145718chk&quot; name=&quot;58145718chk&quot; onclick=&quot;funRemove(this.name)&quot;></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><font size=1><small>&nbsp;58145718</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;VINCLOZOLIN TECHN. MUP BER. ,1X500 KG,US</font></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;95,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;>&nbsp;50,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;>&nbsp;40,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;40,000</small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><input name=&quot;58145718MO9&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58145718MO10&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><font color=&quot;red&quot;><font size=1><input name=&quot;58145718MO11&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;center&quot;><small><font size=1><input name=&quot;58145718MO12&quot; size=&quot;7&quot; value=&quot;0&quot; onfocus=&quot;this.select()&quot; onchange=&quot;LogChange(this.name)&quot; onBlur=&quot;chVal(this.value, name)&quot;></small></td>
<td size =4 align=&quot;left&quot;><small><font size=1>&nbsp;215,000</small></td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>
</HTML>
</BODY>

my apologies! the above javascript doesn't actually do what it was supposed to!

this is going back eight months, so i'll have to try and remember what i did in the end.

as far as i can remember, we had weeks of trouble with this problem and we eventually fixed it by setting the column widths to specific values and truncating data which wouldn't fit using some clever bit of java written by a colleague of mine.

basically the java calculated the width in pixels of the data before it built the page, based on the metrics of whichever font we were using. if the width of the data was greater than the width of the cell, the last characters would be replaced with '...' and a tooltip inserted...

so if the following data was too long...

<td>data data data data</td>

...it would be replaced with...

<td title=&quot;data data data data&quot;>data...</td>

...i know this doesn't fix your problem, but at least you know not that it's my mistake and not yours! sorry!

if i come across a way to fix this, i'll be sure to let you know.

ss...

SS...

I was away for a couple of weeks, so I just got this. Thx for the reply and update on the situation. I was thinking of doing something similar to determine the longest value for each column in ASP and passing it back that way as opposed to using the javascript. Do you know of any advantages to using one over the other?

Thx...finny

sorry, i know practically nothing about asp, so i couldn't really say.

ss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back