Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scroll bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nene75

Programmer
Feb 27, 2003
US
I have a text box which is a memo field in one of the form with the scroll bar visible/verticle. The scoll bar appears only if the user clicks in that text box. Is it possible to have the scroll bar appear all the time without user clikcing on that text box?

Any help provided would be appreciated!
Thanks!

I believe that the field has to have "focus" for the scroll bar to appear. Just curious...why do you want to do this?

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

That's what I had thought but my manager would like to have scroll bars appear all the time because we have end users who are new to the database may not know unless being told or clik in the text box.

We had tried to use the Microsoft Froms 2.0 TextBox control - it does show the scroll bars all the time but it doesn't work on continuous form.

I have exactly the same question!

I am using a text box for data display only. Works fine, but the scroll bar only apears when it has the focus, which means the user may not always know if there is anything there or not - any way of forcing the scroll bar to be always visible?

yes :

in the properties of the text box there is a property:
"Scoll bars"
you can choose

vertical
Horizontal
both
none

also if this is going to be a multiple line field you maigh want to change the "enter key behavior" property to "new line in field"

I've got scroll bars set to 'Vertical', but it does not appear unless the control has the focus.....

I have a temporary bodge, though - I set the focus to the control (me!mycontrol.setfocus) and then set the cursor to the start of the field (me!mtcontrol.selstart=0) so that all the text is not selected. I do this whenever I update the contents of the text box (it is for display only and updated from the selection in three list boxes).

In this particular instance it does not matter, as the form is listbox select and text box display only, but anyone know of a way to make a scroll bar always appear?

Jvanleuvan:

I had set the property to vertical but the scroll bar only appears if the control has the focus.

Nene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back