Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scroll bar causes Approach to crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

kefranks

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
GB
Whenever our users try to use the scroll bar in Approach, if they either use the mouse on the scroll bar, or use the up and down arrows, Approach hangs for a few seconds and then disappears (bombs out). If they use the page up and page down keys, it works fine. IBM have said that they know it's a problem but they're not going to correct it because of the impact changing the code will have on other areas! Useful. Does anyone have a similar problem or any suggestions ?

Approach is a bit sensitive to some video adapters. See if you can get an updated driver from the manufacturer's web site.

It may improve things if you move objects away from the edge of the screen. This can be done by increasing screen resolution.

The current printer is another factor in screen display. Having no default printer or a fax printer as default may cause a problem.

In my experience, recent versions of Approach have less problems with video adapters. You don't say which version but I'd recommend trying 9.7 or 9.8 if you use 9.5 or earlier.

Paul Bent
Northwind IT Systems

Thanks for the reply. We're actually using 9.8, and on the screen/part of the database that has the problem, the data only fills half the width of the screen anyway.. We have various clients connecting with differing screen resolutions, and no-one has any fax printers or fax machines as their default printers! Spoke to IBM again this morning and they said that changing the code to fix this problem would cause too many other problems so they have no plans to fix it at this time. Guess there's not much I can do really..

Have you installed the patch for 9.8? It's a must have fix for a crashing problem on views containing grouped objects (eg a radio button group). Link is
I'm running 9.8 on XP Pro. It's a Dell PC with GeForce3 video. This is the best combination I've ever had in 7 years of using 32 bit Approach. Most previous versions have minor screen redraw problems when the page was scrolled, particularly older versions like A97 running on W9x with ATI video.

Paul Bent
Northwind IT Systems

Great, thanks for the info, I'll give it a try..

Ah. As suspected this made no difference, but thanks for the idea anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back