Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scripting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindboggled

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
US
We have a database of all our equipment and the status of them. What I am trying to do is when the status has been changed...have it email me certain items from the form. Does this sound like a hard task to complete ?? I am not well versed in scripting. Is there other tools to help me with this task ?? %-)

how do you change the database at the moment. You can write a simple procedure so that you change the database using an application. Everytime the application changes the database, another procedure sends you an email with the required info on it.

Let me know if this helps

BB

The database gets changed daily by the techs working on the equipment. What I want is when they change the status of the equipment, I want to be emailed of the change and some other items to be included. I also want this to run quietly in the background. I'm trying to find and easy way to do it. %-)

What's the database format? SQL Server has a system stored procedure to send e-mail that could be executed from a trigger defined for the status field.

If there's no such thing in the back-end then you will have to put code behind the Chnage event of the status field. It can use the CDO 1.21, Outlook or CDO for Exchange Server to create an e-mail and insert text and values from other fields in the record.

Paul Bent
Northwind IT Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back