Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scripting Snapshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

JG5

MIS
Nov 18, 2001
US
I have created several batch files to facilitate creating, mounting and deleting snapshots on my storage array for backup purposes. The environment variables, authentication and SSH client have been setup on a specific system so that I can enter the storage array CLI commands directly from the dos prompt. The batch files work very well, but I think the way I'm doing it may not be 100% efficient. In my case, I have one batch file for each command. Then, a "main" batch file has the CALL option listed numerous times. So in other words, instead of listing each command in sequence in one batch file, I have to call each command in it's own batch file. I've tried several different times, but if I enter the commands in the same batch file, it simply quits or exits after the first command. I'm sure it's something simple I've overlooked, but I'm no scripting expert (as if you couldn't tell by me mentioning batch files!). Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I think I've found the solution. I need to be entering the commands between parentheses:

(
Command 1

Command 2

Command 3

etc.

exit
)

Preliminary testing was successful, but if anyone has a better methodology I would appreciate the input.

Thanks again.

This should work. One qustion though; what are you backing up? When you take storage based snapshots without an application agent you can't ensure consistency of the backup. YOu wouln'd backup Exchange or SLQ data this way for example. You'd use the VSS Writer buit into the application and you harware VSS provider, coordinated by a VSS requestor.

This script is only for user shares - I wouldn't dream of snapping Exchange or SQL this way. I back those up hot with the backup agents, but I'm working on development with the VSS hardware provider from the array manufacturer, and hopefully will be able to incorporate the VSS backups automatically with my backup application.

Thanks for the response.

The storage array is 3Par and the backup application is Commvault.

Commvault has a "Use VSS" option for all of the agents - File System / Exchange / SQL. This of course is the Microsoft software snapshot which uses existing space on the volume in question I believe. I'm hoping that by replacing the software provider, that option would then create the snapshot on the array, back it up, and finally delete it once complete. I will be testing this further week after next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back