Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scripting language for Windows servers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorel

MIS
Jun 15, 2004
Let me start by saying that I am not a Windows expert.

Is there a scripting language that would allow me to create short programs to perform different function in a Windows server system such as adding new users, changing passwords, and other items related to the server in general.
Since this script are to be run by our clients and not by us, I need something that will allow to write the script and also create the windows environment so the client can click on buttons and enter info, etc.
What I found so far is scripts that will do the function, but for them to have a Windows feeling, I have to use another script that creates the windows then call the script to do the function.
Is there something that will do both without forcing my to learn 2 different languages?

Thanks in advance for you replay which will be greatly appreciated

joe

Although PowerShell is now the 'de-facto' scripting tool for Windows operating systems, you can still leverage Windows scripting host functions that can run as a GUI for most tasks using legacy VBScript. Try googling "Windows Scripting Repository"

What I am looking for is ONE scripting language that will allow me to do the script for the function I need to do that also has the ability to create the windows environment. I know I may have to learn the scripting language, but I reluctant to be force to learn 2 languages to accomplish a simple task, one to do the task and another to create the windows environment for the task.
Is there such an animal?

I do not know Power shell or Visual Basic, I have no problem learning one of the 2, but, why do I have to learn both?

Joe

If you are starting from scratch, then go for PowerShell, it's _the_ future of Windows Server scripting.

>go for PowerShell, it's _the_ future of Windows Server scripting

I'm a big Powershell fan, but one thing it is lacking is

>the ability to create the windows environment

that the OP seems to want. At least not without adding a 3rd party module such as ShowUI or the WPF PowerShell Kit (WPK), which in turn really requires learning WPF (and which itself, given we are in a Windows Server 2003 forum, requires at least .NET 3.0 to be installed) on top of learning Powershell.

Sounds like an end-user application is needed.

An application.

Which requires: a UI, communication with Windows objects, business rules, validation, error handling... you get the picture.

There is no one-size-fits-all solution. Each of the requirements I listed could entail using a discrete, separate language, and definitely would involve knowledge of APIs, scripting, .NET assemblies, design patterns, and the like.

You need an application developer. Unless you have a spare year or two to devote to learning the disciplines.

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

About 4 years ago, my company decided to move our vertical application to Windows, at the time I strongly recommended to stay with UNIX or if they prefer to move to LINUX, they overrule me, now we are paying the price of such a bad decision in both time and money.

Joe

>now we are paying the price of such a bad decision

And it was a bad decision why?

And it was a bad decision why?
???Because it was against the OP's recommendation so no good could come of it???

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

We are paying the price because:

Most of our tech personnel are very knowledgeable of Linux
Windows servers requires expensive licenses for both user cals, OS license, SQL licenses, etc.
Once you are 100% Windows, you are hostage to Microsoft, when they do an update, they do not care if the update creates a problem with the running application, and they will not provide assistance in solving any discrepancies
When they decide to update you get an ultimatum, either update or we will not support you, and, of course, the new OS cost money to update.

Joe

If you have a lot of Unix/Linux experienced people, you might look into Cygwin. It's free and it give a nice familiar environment for your *nix guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back