Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scripting as a way to expose code to users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddelk

Programmer
May 28, 2003
US
I have code that updates an Access database, exports the modified tables to text and then runs a linear programming model using the text files.

I currently have the code in a front end Access database, attaching to a backend Access database where the data resides.

I want to move the code in the front end to VB since I get more control over the look and feel of the interface in VB versus Access/VBA. But when I compile the VB interface, the user can no longer get to the code and I need the user to be able to modify the code if necessary.

Can I use VB as the interface, and simply put all the code into scripts? Then using the scripting object, call the script code from the compiled interface during run time? The user could modify the scripts as needed since they are not compiled. I assume I will have to make 'some' modifications to the code if its in a script, but is the strategy I'm thinking of going to work?

This will be some work of course, but it sounds reasonable.

Look at things like:

Note that this is really a VB 5 and 6 topic and not a VBScript topic. The Windows Script Control provides your VB program with access to the VBScript, JScript, and any 3rd party Active Script engines installed on the target computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back