Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Script to make a PDF from a Word document - execution issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonett

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
FR
Greetings,

I have a little functionality request that means I have to find a way to make an attached file in an RTF field into a PDF using Office 2013.

So I made a code that saves the attached file to the temp directory, opens the file in Word, tries to save as PDF, then quit Word.

Code:
Set wordobj = CreateObject("Word.application")
wordobj.Documents.Open temppath
wordobj.ActiveDocument.SaveAs2 pdfpath, 17' <- value of wordobj.WdSaveFormat.wdFormatPDF
'wordobj.Close
wordobj.Quit

The issue is that I can see the PDF file in the temp directory in Windows Explorer, but the Word kinda crashes into a loop and, when I use Process Hacker to kill it, I get an error stating that "MS Word experienced an error in trying to open the file." followed by the standard useless suggestions about file permissions and free disk space.

The thing is, I do not see where Word is supposed to open the PDF. I'm just asking it to save, then quit.

Is there another command for saving, like SaveAndQuit ?

Thanks for any answers,

Pascal.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back