Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Script to change browse and retention

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspreet101

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2005
US
Hi,

I'm writing a script for to clone the data and having issues reset the browse and retention policy of the original media.

Here's what I'm trying to achieve:
1. mminfo to query the data having savesets having one copy and backed up in last 24 hours.
2. nsrclone (with the list of ssid/cloneid generated) to clone the data onto the clone pool at a different tape library.
3. After the cloning completes, I want to reset the browse and retention time of save sets on original (Source) Media from "2 months" to "1 day". However, the issue is that the ssid/cloneid for two instance (original and clone copy) of same data is exactly the same. Is there any way we can differentiate between the two copies. I know that the volid for each instance will be different but it can not be used in nsrmm -S -e -w command.

I also thought to set the browse and retention time (for backup) to be 1 day and have clone pool retention to be higher, but incase the cloning process fails for some reason, the original backup copy could potentially be lost and hence ignored that option.

Any help is highly appreciated.

You can do this, depending on the NetWorker version. However, changing the browse and retention policies later to one day would not make sense as you can set the save sets/the media to recyclable right away.

In general a script would look like this:

- mminfo -q "savetime < '1 day ago', copies = 1" -r "ssid, cloneid" > file
- nsrclone -f file
- nsrmm -o recyclable volume

However, i would not make it to complicated. If you have at least NW 7.3 installed, you may setup each clone pool with its own retention policy. This will solve your problem. And using automatic would avoid scripting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back