Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Script Performance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jammer1221

Programmer
Jul 30, 2003
US
Hey all,

I was wondering how the following example would effect my scripts performance: Select 50-1000 rows from a mysql db and convert it to XML type data. i.e.

Code:
<item> <!--this is row 1-->
<title>Value</title> <!--title is the column name and value is the value of that row and column-->
</item>
<item><!--this is row 2-->
</item>
I've never done any kind of processing like this (with ~1000 rows of data) and was wondering what kind of load this would cause on the processor and how long this script would take to process? I'm just looking for a simple estimate from some of you experienced developers!

Thanks,
Matt

Aside from the fact that XML is a pointless waste of bandwidth and processor ticks unless the structure of the data is supposed to change, I see no problems with what you propose.

My test server can output 1000 records from a dictionary table in XML format in .02 seconds.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

Sleipnir,

Thank you for your response! That is very helpful and great news!

Thanks again,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back