Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

script for Norton firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katto

Technical User
Apr 6, 2005
US

I would like to have a script that creates rules for Norton that would allow me to block/allow an entire folder. I downloaded a program from MajorGeeks that does that for Windows Defender. I have Norton which takes over the Windows Defender, so I would like to apply the rules on Norton. Is this possible?

Thank you

Alright so, WSH executable : wscript.exe is the command in VBscript to let a file run. However I need Norton's Firewall file name to block it. Once you get back to me I will work further.

To edit it is difficult, I wouldn't know how as I am new.

Your man,
John Space

Note that Norton products (OP didn't mention which Norton AV product he/she is referring to but I assume Norton 360) have default VBS script blocking (and don't appear to expose a PowerShell API, unlike Windows Defender).

As a result I doubt that this is even possible... the Norton product would almost definitely assume the script was an attack against itself.

I certainly hope it's not possible. If it was possible then any script-kiddie could adapt an 'ignore this folder so I can download malware to it' script to perform AV scan exclusions. See the problem?

now I f i make a rule on windows defender is this going to be respected or just ignored by Norton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back