Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screensavers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamccor

MIS
Apr 4, 2003
US
I am running Windows 98 SE. The problem I am having is when I make a shortcut to any of Windows included screensavers and try to save it to my desktop,it says that all my .scr files have no associated program to run from. I know how to edit associations but how do I know which program to choose?
Thanks

jamccor:

A .scr file is an executable and needs no associated file to run it. I don't know how you are trying to make a shortcut but try this. In Windows Explorer, go to your C:\Windows\System folder and right click on a .scr and choose 'Create Shortcut' from the menu. It will create one in that directory, then right click the shortcut and drag to your desktop and choose 'Move Here' from the pop-up menu. You should then be able to double click it to run.

Or when you right click on it choose "send to" then "desktop as shortcut".

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Whats happening is all my screensaver files have that white windows icon. When I double click them, a box opens and asks which program to run them with. How do I fix this?

Well, mine have the white Icon too, but they open when I double click on them. I'm not sure how to restore this, except to see what the file type properties say.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Hello jamccor,

As the first diagnostic I would suspect that your .scr (scrfile) settings as installed by default in the registry have been altered/corrupted for whatever reason. You can investigate the reason later. Would it be due to virus...?

But to correct the situation, I would propose you to use right-click (context-menu) on a good .scr file in your system under \windows. Do you get the choice "open" (default), install, config? If not, it confirms the diagnositc. If yes, you still have to make sure the settings are the correct ones.

Use any box with .scr properly behave and export the keys:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\.scr]
and
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\scrfile]

As these are the areas where we tempt less to customize, you will properly be all right to import the .reg settings to your box.

If you are worried about it, you can post the settings in your box right now. I am sure members can spot the anomaly comparing them with their settings.

regards - tsuji

The reason for the white icon is because there is no icon (picture) assigned for those shortcuts.

You can right-click on the icon, select properties, and change the icon from a white one to a generic windows icon.

I just looked and when I right click on any of my .scr files, they all have "Open With"..none have just "open", or "install". Also when I checked those registry keys, I found they do not exist. Where do I go from here?

jamccor:

Copy everything between the lines and paste it into notepad.

Leave a blank line at the end.

Save the file as scr.reg

Make sure notepad doesn't add the text extension to it.

Then just double click on it to add it to your registry.

Then see if your Screensavers run OK.

-------------------------------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.scr
@="scrfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile]
@="Screen Saver"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\open]
@="T&est"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" /S"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\config]
@="C&onfigure"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\config\command]
@="\"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\install]
@="&Install"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\install\command]
@="c:\\windows\\rundll32.exe desk.cpl,InstallScreenSaver %l"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\UninstallerFileLinksPage]
@="{0A0DF241-2D89-11d0-B32B-00AA00CE19C5}"

--------------------------------

Maybe I need to clarify a little more here. When I go to the control panel,desktop,screen saver tab and test any screen saver...they have always worked. Only when I look at the files themselves in the windows/system directory do they not work. They all have the white "I dont know what program im associated with" icon.I could choose open with...but I dont know what to open them with. I imported the last post into the registry,restarted and same problem. I even tried recopying from the 98 cd and no luck. Any other ideas out there.I appreciate everyone taking time to help me!

jamccor:

I didn't proof read my post very well. The reg file has an error in the first line. It should read

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.scr]
@="scrfile"

Please correct it and try again.

That did it! Im back in business. BeenThereDoneThat,thanks for taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back