Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screenreader Survey 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisHunt

Programmer
Jul 12, 2002
GB
An interesting survey has been published by WebAIM which asks screenreader users what they find difficult, or easy, to deal with on web pages. Their answers don't always concur with received wisdom on accessibility good practice, so it might cause you to re-think what you're doing on your site(s) in that regard.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

A very enlightening read, thank you for sharing Chris.

Clive
Runner_1Revised.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." (Paul Ehrlich)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To get the best answers from this forum see: faq102-5096

Very useful information thanks.
We tend to think we know what sight impaired visitors require from our designs and build our sites accordingly. These surveys can very often turn up some unexpected results.
I wonder what unexpected results we would get from a similar survey of non sight impaired web users?

Keith

Some surprising findings there. For example:

"If an image is used solely to enhance the mood or feel of a web page, I'd prefer that the image..."

59% said it should be described by the screen reader. That came as a bit of a shock. I've always taken care to put descriptions against images that carry any sort of meaning, but I've never bothered with those that are mere embellishments. Time to re-think perhaps.

Mike

Visual FoxPro tips, advice, training, consultancy
Custom software for your business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back