Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen straight edge idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlockley

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
US
The ATT billing support person and I have just thought of an application which we would both greet, and I wonder if this would be the right place to suggest it or ask if it existed.

The item would be a superimposed straightedge which could be moved up and down a screen with the cursor.

Reason: I am one of those people who have trouble following lines and colums so they enter the wrong data in the wrong field or box - why I was speaking to the ATT billing support person..Yellow pages got $300 intended for business phone lines. Last week I confused Costco by sending a large amount intended for City Bank. In a previous career I entered all of the English grades in the French box and was nearly fired for it.

On paper I simply use a folded sheet and follow down the page, a bit difficult with a wide screen. Something of this nature would also be useful in rough checking Paradox and other layouts.

I am thinking a solid gray bar maybe ten or so pixels wide and extendable in size.

Something like 'A ruler for Windows' (see
You can re-size it, make it almost transparent, drag it around your desktop and move it in small increments using the arrow keys.

When you download it from Download.com, you can see "People who downloaded A Ruler for Windows also downloaded:" further down on the final download page showing links to several more on-screen rulers.

Hope this helps...

Actually, I found a better one - "On-screen Ruler V1.0.1" - at
It's better inasmuch that you can set the colour of the font and the ticks to match the colour of the ruler... so it's just a bar, either semi-transparent or opaque. This is more like what you wanted in your original post, i.e. just a solid gray bar.

It's also portable... no installation required so it's joined my other utilities on my USB stick!

Hope this helps...

Thanks. They're useful to a point, but I guess straight edge isn't quite what I meant, or rather, I was thinking of something that would stay on top of the program you are filling out. Still, two nifty apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back