Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen Size and printer problems with Clipper in WIN XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

techlab3

Programmer
Oct 30, 2002
US
I work for a company who has a client that needed a computer system upgrade. We upgraded their systems from WIN 95, 98 to WIN XP. They ran a dos based application in Clipper on their machines, but when ported, they have problems. Now the screen resolution of the program has been cut in half, and they cannot print one label at a time, but they can print in bulk. I have been researching this error for days, but I cannot find anything. Please help.

The screensize: Set the shortcut properties to 80 columns by 25 rows, and your in bussines again.
The printing: This is one of the major changes from Win3.1(W'95/W'98/W'Me) to WinNT(W'2K/W'XP); the printing. Just get your clipper app to 'close the printerport' after it's done with printing, and ... your in bussines again s-) I guess you'll have to ask this one also in the 'Windows 2000 Professional' forum ('Desktop Software' group) over here, but you can expect to get the answer here also. I'm off hardware and Win trouble too long to remember how-to :-(

HTH
TonHu

Try Windows 2000 Professional. Other OS (from Microsoft), are the worst, a mesh !!!!!!!
good luck !!

You will also need to modify the Autoexec.nt and Config.nt (which is not in the Root C:\). They can be found in c:\Windows\System32. What ever you needed in Dos (i.e Files=xx) you can put there. There are some other tricks, let me know and I will be glad to help.

I ran into a screen problem that setting the properties to 80x24 did not fix. The symptom was same as yours, where the app filled only the top half of the screen. Had to change the screen resolution to a lower setting, then it worked.

Try adding the following line in the AUTOEXEC.NT file, (or your eventual .bat file that runs your app):

mode con: cols=80 lines=25

This line, in combination with the 80x24 icon's properties, should work.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back