Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen Shot? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver987

Vendor
Sep 22, 2004
US
I know this may be basic to most of you but knowledge is king. How do I take a "screen shot" and email it to someone?

Wayne T

Usually the Print screen key on your keyboard will do just that. You can then paste it into your image editor of choice and save the image which you can then attach.

This applies for most Windows operating systems. Other OSes will have other ways of getting screen shots.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Press PRTSCRN key to get the whole screen (all windows) and then PASTE into Word, Wordpad, Paint. Save document
Press ALT + PRTSCRN keys to get ONLY the ACTIVE windows and then as above.
Email as a normal attachment.

Windows 7 - you can use the Snipping Tool

Link
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I have Win 7, so I press "print screen" but where does it go??

Wayne T

Print Screen copies the image of the screen to your clipboard, ready for pasting to anywhere, such as an image editor where it can be saved as a file.

As I said, you can then paste it into an image editor of choice and save it.

The print screen key copies it your clipboard.

In Windows 7 you can open MS Paint and paste there, and then save it.

Paint can be found in The Start Menu->All Programs->Accessories->Paint

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

I'm just surprised you haven't need this up until now. I've been print screen since forever.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

If you don't want the entire screen then I love lightscribe - link on this example screenshot. You can copy to clipboard or upload, as I have now and share a link.

Gavin

There is a "Snipping Tool" that comes with Windows 7. It works great with no other software required. It can be found in Accessories.

You can paste it directly into an email as long as you have your mail client set to use HTML or Rich Text; no need to add the complication of saving it or wrapping it in a Word document.

Nelviticus

If you do a LOT of screenshots or just want more control over them, I LOVE using Techsmith Snagit, but it's a 3rd party commercial program.

It's got loads of options.

But if you just once in a blue moon need to use a screenshot, then the snipping tool works well as well. And it's got a lot more to it than many people realize. It'd be worth just playing with that, finding what the different buttons/options do I'm sure.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Love Snagit, Was a Beta Tester for three versions and now use it for everything snagable BUT if you only need the occasional screen print then stick with the prt-scr.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back