Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen saver question

Status
Not open for further replies.

w4nn4b1337

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2009
US
I have a system that is monitoring my network. It uses a couple of HDTV's as monitors. The boss wants to be able to see the data at all times therefore, I can't use a screen saver per se. I have heard of an application that will move the desktop image slightly to avoid damaging the TV's. I've tried searching for anything that can do that but have had no luck.
Has anybody used anything like that before or know of a place where I could find it?
Thanks~

Network+ / Security+ / C|EH /CCNA

This problem of burn in only applies to cathode ray tube type sets, or Plasma. If you have LCD, than this is not an issue to be concerned about. Plasma TV's will generally come with a image cleaner/white wipe or something to use to help with burn-in or ghosting.

That's not strictly true, LCDs can suffer from image persistence too:
Screen burn-in - Plasma, LCD and OLED displays

However it's unlikely to be a problem in your situation for two reasons: firstly the only things that'll burn in are parts of the screen that are always the same, which doesn't really matter for you; secondly the burn-in on an LCD is very faint (see the photo in the Wikipedia article) so the worst it would do is slightly reduce your picture quality, which again doesn't matter as you're only monitoring network activity, not watching Avatar. It would be annoying if you used the monitor for watching TV but you could ignore it in your case.

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back