Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen resolution mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

modalman

Programmer
Feb 14, 2001
GB
Hi. Does anyone know the procedure for changing the screens resolution to 800x600 and 16 bit colour? I am using nasm for windows in 32 bit mode. The max I can get at the mo is 320x160 at 8 bit using:

MOV AH, 00H
MOV AL, 13H
INT 10H

Many thanks in advance. ASCII silly question, get a silly ANSI

That's mode 6ah in the VESA specifications. Unfortunately you need to be sure you have a VESA BIOS before 6ah can be enabled using the Classic video mode set interrupt. I forgot the VESA mode for that resolution, however.

Note that there are in fact two set video mode interrupts, one of them is the Classic Mode Set, which you have, and the VESA Extended Mode Set, whose number I also forgot. Anyway, you can search for it in Ralph Brown's Interrupt List, which also includes a table of standard VESA resolutions.

Note that setting the screen mode is only one step in graphical programming. "Information has a tendency to be free. Which means someone will always tell you something you don't want to know."

Thanks guys. Much appreciated ASCII silly question, get a silly ANSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back