Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen Resolution - KVM Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanmi

MIS
Oct 20, 2006
US
How can I check & change the monitor resolution for my servers to be seen on the monitor thru KVM switch.
I have several serveral servers w/VGA cards installed on then, with the correct usb dangle attached, 2 of my servers (Sun V440 can be seen on the monitor, but the rest of the servers (V240s ) couldn't be seen .

I'm assuming it's a reolution problem, so I ren the
# /usr.openwin/xdpyinfo
I got an error message
# ./xdpyinfo: unable to open display "".
I then ran $echo DISPLAY & this returns nothing.

Can anyone please tell me how I can get this configured, so I can see the rest of my servers on this monitor.

Thanks,
Sanmi

The KVM switch should connect directly to the server as the console. There should not be any need to set DISPLAY variables.

Is there any more information you can provide

Thanks, NattyP .....This is what it's so confusing. I didn't have to do a anything for the 2 servers that I can see thru the console, however when I logged into the server & do a STOP-A to get to the command line, the screen froze when I stop typing, which then forced me to reboot the server, the console screen then gave me a blank screen with the same resolution as the other servers that I was having problems with.....This makes me believe that the problems is with the Console & not the servers.

This console needs to reads the resolution as 1024 x on all servers instead of 640 x ? on some of them.

Thanks,
Sanmi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back