Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

screen resolution does not change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosguy

Programmer
Nov 5, 2005
VC
okay so after formatting my machine (reinstalling windows) i noticed that i am not able to change the resolution any higher than 640 by 480 pixels, or change the colour quality from 16 bit.
i tried downloading the drivers for the monitor brand from dell but no luck. i was wondering if there is a software maybe that i can download to help me with this.

thank u in advance for ur help.

Chaosguy - To die would be an awefully big adventure.

Your problem appears to be that the default Windows XP install does not recognise your display adaptor (graphics card or onboard graphics display chip).

If so then you need to determine the make/model of the display adaptor and download/install the drivers.

What make/model PC do you have?

Hope this helps....

i have a dell 2200

The only 'dell 2200' I can find is a 'Dell Inspiron 2200 Intel Pentium M 725 1.6 GHz laptop'?

Is this what it is?

Did you try the Belarc Advisor? Once you I.D. the hardware, then finding drivers becomes a lot easier.

ok, so this is what that belarc program said about the monitor.

DISPLAY
Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adapter]
DELL E773c [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n 641805BC0219, November 2005) (2x)

From what i saw, it didn't give the name of any drivers on the computer. umm, so idk.

The Monitor has no bearing here, you need Drivers for your [red]Graphics Controller[/red] a.k.a Video Card. Only then will you be able to change resolutions.

You'll need to go to Intel's website, and download drivers for this piece of hardware:

Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller

Install the drivers, and reboot. You should then be able to change resolutions.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Those are the drivers, but don't follow those instructions. Here this link should help you out:

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back