Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen jumpy after wakeup Ubuntu 8.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

1a22ip

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
US
I am running Ubuntu 8.04. I press sleep and off to bed the system goes. Great!! When I wake it up. The screen is jumpy (unusable). The only way to fix it is to re-boot.

Has anyone seen this before and if so how was it fixed.

Thanks In advance
ED

There are some issues resuming from sleep with certain proprietary video drivers. What video card do you have?

Other than trying to upgrade the drivers, there is no cure.

Thanks for the reply: I will check the video card stuff. I am afraid that because it's on the mother board their might be as you said no cure.

ED

You could still cure it by buying a video card and putting it in the machine. Doesn't even have to be a great one if you've been doing ok with onboard graphics for this long, probably spend about $40 and you'll be set. I'd recommend nVidia as the brand to consider... ATI in linux is usually a pain.

Remember to turn off the onboard VGA in the BIOS. Once you've got your nVidia card in the machine,

sudo apt-get install envyng*

and then run it from the icon it puts in your applications menu to set up the card's drivers the easiest way possible.

Ben
Windows isn't the answer; it's the question. NO is the answer.

Thanks for the reply: The on-board video chip is intel. I keep your suggestion is mind. I might have a Video card lying around.

Thanks
ED

ATI in linux is usually a pain.
Not anylonger... their installer is a breeze to use, full GUI and all (a lot like windows)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back