Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen gone yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I use an old pc at work to run a feed system.The os is Win 3.11. I attempted to load a .gif via floppy & tried to open it with Paint.Although the Paint opened it ,the colours were not correct.Ever since then the screen has been showing a strange yellow colour wherever white should be , infact it has put a strange tint over everything.On start-up during dos , all print is yellow.Does anyone have any clues?

Interesting. It has either messed up you video card or your system configuration. You may need to reset them.

How old was the files that you attemped to load? Meaning, what os did you make it in? 2.03, 3.11, 95...?

The files must not have been entirely in a .gif format, at least not the one that Paint for 3.1 can read.

I would guess that the monitor may be on the blink - have you tried the machine with a different one?

Alternatively, try reseating the graphics card, checking that the monitor cable is firmly attached, and lastly replacing the graphics card.

I don't think that paint is properly capable of opening *.gifs, but that shouldn't affect the display permanently! CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks to all for your replies,the computer in question is at my place of work & I've been off for the last week but will return tomorrow (Monday) & maybe get a chance to try some of your suggestions.No,there was no error message when I attempted to open the gif,just a strange interpretation of the colours,it was as if Paint couldn't handle too many shades or something.I use XP at home now,so tinkering with video cards/drivers on 3.11 would require some technical pointing from the more savvy among us?

How old are your monitor and video card? I'm with CitrixEngineer in that I don't see how Paint can be a direct cause of this. However, if the hardware is old, it might have been ready to go anyway, and the extreme color might have done it in. As C.E. implied, you might try a known good monitor and/or video card and see whether you get the same results. A remote possibility is a corrupt driver, although I doubt it.
Butch

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts"

could possibly be that the monitor itself just finally decided to die. my bf's mom had that problem...her monitor all of a sudden started with a yellow tint over everything. she switched it with another monitor that was EXACTLY the same (same drivers) and that monitor worked fine.*<|:)

That might explain the yellow tint, but it wouldn't explain the odd loading of the gif file.
It could have been two unrelated problems that just happen to occur at the same time.

try the monitor cable also. if one or more of te pins is bent or missing, or wires are broken (the picture might have caused it to happen, or a minor power surge(always keep a surge protector between you and the public power system)) then you could get that effect.
mind you there are some missing pins on some vga cables by default, but look trough your monitor manual to be sure of which pins you need, and which you don't if any of the needed pins are needed you may need to replace your cable.
also look inside of the holes of your monitor port on your computer, and the one on your monitor, if present, to see if a pin might be stuck in there, if one broke.
That's all I acn think of right now. I'll get back to you if I think of anything else.
;)

I had the same problem a few months ago. It turned out to be the video card (a GeForce2 MX). I would plug the monitor cable straight into the vga port and the screen would have a yellow tint. If I moved the cable up, so that it was plugged into at a slight angle, the colors would return to normal. I believe that the pin that controls yellow/blue wasn't making solid contact, but I have no idea how to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back