Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen Freezes during 3D games

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBaxx

Technical User
Feb 11, 2003
US
hello,
While playing three differnt 3D games(Battlefield 1942 , No One Lives Forever 2,Quake3) my screen freezes up about every 30 minutes or so ,the screen will have a pattern of colors 1/4" squares of purple green & white this is transparent and you can see the 3D image that it froze on.the only way to get out of this is to re-boot the computer and it will work fine right away ,without any waiting period..i can run some 3D games without any freezing up ..and the internet doesnt seem to make any difference..also all regular use of Windows is OK. It seems this started up after i in stalled a new Video card about 6 months ago, but im not sure its the prob. ,,,heres my Specs.

Athlon XP 2200+
Crucial DDR 2100 256mg
GeForce 4 4200 Gainward
Shuttle AK35GT2
Maxtor 80gig 5400
USB connected DSL
Windows XP
newest Geforce drivers

thanx for any help

All the usual suspects?
1) Latest game patches
2) Latest DirectX 9
3) Latest Video card drivers (which you have)
4) Latest motherboard Chipset Drivers
5) Overheating issues?? CPU heatsink/fan adequate?
Case cooling adequate? GPU fan OK?
Adequate movement of air around graphics card?
On the software front , what is running in the background?? interfereing with the game?
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

yes , more info

Motherboard BIO's is the newest one , the Gart dvr, and Bus dvr are handled by Windows XP

I have installed DirectX 9 ,
Games are current and updated.

big Copper Heat/sink and multi-speed Fan very big setup .

Case cooling is good too .running at under 90 degrees..intake fan and out ,everthing has been cleaned.
350watt PS

you said you installed a video card 6 months ago, how long have you been having this problem?
like paparazi has stated it could be just about anything.
i know some games require you to disable your anti virus program. have you installed any programs lately?
video card problems are usually the hardest to find and easiest to fix. LOL PEARL

Still think you should install the latest Via 1445 4in1 Motherboard drivers, called Hyperion. Suitable for all Via chipsets including the KT333 on your Shuttle.
XP has been out for 16 months now so the generic drivers could be more than 20 months old.

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back