Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen, Font and Printing issues moving to Visual Foxpro (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

csamd

Technical User
Aug 2, 2001
US
I am running an application in MS-DOS Foxpro 2.6 without problems. I have the source code and with a lot of brute force, from time to time, I modified it to suit. I recognize that sooner or later hardware and software support become problematic. From a "computing" and backward compatibility point of view, the program works seems to work fine with VPF 5 except a few issues. The screen display and printing issues.

1- The screen shows different size fonts even a statement is added at the begining of the program to SET SCREEN FONT TO "courier",10 or foxfont. In particular, screen writes are in ok but the menus are boxed with a smaller size font. Though "workable" it's very annoying visually. The DOS version has the backgrounds highlighted (which suits me just fine). I have some understanding why this happens regarding Foxels. Is there a routine that I can run in the beginning of the program so that VFP will "mimick" an old fashion 80x25 screen. I don't care about scalability or frills just reasonable readability. (This is a billing program to collect money. I don't care about bells and whistles and beautifying my neighborhood with beautiful screens shots.)

2- Printing with the DOS version typically is designated with @2,10 SAY "blah, blah, blah" etc. How do I mimick the DOS version line printing. Font sizes are different and problems occur with preprinted forms arise.

3- When running the program with VFP 5, the databases are modified and then no longer recognized by the DOS version. I assume a header is being modified. How do I tell VFP to leave the databases in "DOS" format. (I really won't care if someone in Tibet can't process my dbf files.)

4- The DOS version of my application was originally preferenced because a lot of work is done remotely. Sorry Windows lovers, but, sending just screen updates in a DOS pcAnywhere session beats the living daylights out of any graphical screen over a 28k connection. (Screen updates are so fast that I sometimes have to double check to check whether I am online or working with a local "work" copy of my application. Any solutions? (aside from suggesting that I either live in my office or use a DSL line that Bellsouth won't make available until the year 2025)

Addendum:

Too bad Fox Holdings was squeezed and sold out to Microsoft.

Rather than address all your specific questions, I'd suggest you search both this forum and the VFP forum for specific answers to your specific problems - these have been discussed before. (It's always best to ask one "limited" question at a time for the best responses.)

In converting I learned a lot from the Self-Study course offered by Micro Endeavours ( - check out "VF610: FoxPro 2.x to Visual FoxPro Migration Manual". MS used to supply a free (S&H) CD "Visual FoxPro Migration Sourcebook", 1997 - perhaps someone in your local user group still has a copy.

We've used free DBF's in a mixed FP 2.x and VFP environment for many years, and there are only a few actions that will cause these tables to be converted so they can't be used in the older environment. The trick is to NOT do these, and if necessary convert them back!

(It's hard to believe you'd refuse $173+ million to "sell out"!)

Rick

Thanx for the reply. Ouch! Microendeavors wants $250.00 for their stuff. Anyone have any experience with their stuff?

Will also check VFP forums.

And yes, I would also sell for the $179 million. Being squished by a behemoth, like Microsoft, would not be a particularly attractive alternative. Because, that's how they work. Wasn't till several years later that the Justice Department stopped sales such as Quicken. (Legal copies of Microsoft Money can now be had for just about free. Gee, go figure.) I guess the folks at Fox Holdings, understandably recognized the software landscape for what it was. I also don't think that the original programmers would have abandonded their users, as such, which in its own ironic way makes forums such as these necessary. I remember calling the old Foxpro support, and they gave you just that.

How dose that motto go? Where do you want go and be left out in the cold today? (ha ha)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back