Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screen error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xpmessed

MIS
Nov 8, 2004
CA
Hello,
every once in a while when a user logs out or when you are logging in my screen will turn off and my lights at the front will flash on and off. The only way to get my screen back is to turn the whole computer by a push of the button which I would prefer not to do. I am running windows xp pro. Does anyone have a suggestion as to why this would be happening?

Thanks

Xp

Could be bad memory or a failing hard drive. But it could be a lot of other causes also. It's hard to guess without testing things. Start with the memory (memtest86) and the hard drive (get diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturer)

Thanks, what is this memtest86 you mentioned, how do you do it?

Thanks Josh

memtest86 is a program you can run to test your ram. Most, of time. You probably can download from internet. Also, make sure your ram is seated in the socket.

Sundust1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back