Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scott/tiger only works in the "oracle" UNIX account !!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irshad

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
I just installed Oracle 8.1.5 on Solaris 8.

I am able to start sqlplus as scott/tiger only when I am logged into UNIX as the "oracle" user.

When I try to start sqlplus as scott/tiger from my other UNIX account on the same Sun Solaris 8 box, it says: "ORACLE UNAVAILABLE".

Please help.

Thanks,
Irshad

Are your ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID env variables set
for the other user?

Sounds like you might be missing ORACLE_SID.

Bob Bob Lowell
ljspop@yahoo.com

Hi Bob/Mike,

I have both the ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID set as shown below:

$ who am i
training pts/2 Feb 16 21:56

$ env | grep ORA
ORACLE_SID=bvdb
ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.5

Does my UNIX user (training) need to belong to a certain UNIX group? (I know the "oracle" UNIX user belongs to the "dba" UNIX group)

Thanks,
Irshad

Hi,

Your training user should belong to the dba group.

If dba is not the default group for the traing user you can use the newgrp command to make that user a member of the dba group.

Also, check the permissions of "oracle" in the ORACLE_HOME/bin directory. It should have set uid perms set.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
your $PATH environment variable should contain $ORACLE_HOME/bin

I don't think that, it's necessary to belong to the dba group, in order to connect to an Oracle database via SQLPLUS.

hope this helps.

if I may offer a dissenting opinion NO user(s) other than oracle (or whatever you installes as) and accounts for actual DBAs should EVER be in the dba group! members of this group can CONNECT INTERNAL (assuming you're not using a password file; topic for different post) and do anything SYS can (i.e. ANYTHING you want).

SQL*Plus (or ANY Oracle utility) can be run from any Unix user provided normal permission and environment conditions are met.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back