Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO VisionFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

treecody

Programmer
Jul 25, 2001
US
How do I start the profile editor?

I have done everthing that the SCO knowledge base gave as tips. When I double click on the visiontools share on a windows nt machine, I get the error access denied. I'm the VisionFS administrator, I'm a user on Unix and I gave myself root privileges. I don't know why I don't have access to the profile editor. Can anyone help me?

Thanks..treecody

Things to look at -- and these may be obvious:
1) is visionfs running? telnet to your SCO box and (on a UW7 box) run
/usr/vision/bin/visionfs status
if not started, replace 'status' with 'start'
2) by default, root is the administrator for visionfs. That means that you must login initially from your NT system as user 'root' with the same password that root has on the unix box. You can't login as a user and 'su' from the nt box -- yet.
3) I assume that you have run ./visionfs password --wizard and have given root (as a visionfs user) the same password as root (as a unix user). If the passwords don't match, you may not be able to get in.
4) If you haven't done so, create a user on the nt box as 'root' and put the same password as the unix user 'root.'
5) you should be able to connect to the unix box and start profedit. When you get in, if you want to give administrator access to another user, you may do so.

Hope this helps

Terry

tcalvert@oregonvos.net

which version of visionfs are you using?
if i remember correctly ( been a few years... I use samba now on all sco boxes that need win 9x/Nt/Me/2K clients)
nt workstations wouldn't work until you turned off encryted passwords.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters]
"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

HTH,
stan

Thanks for the input, but the problem was I was using pass-through encryption. Once I changed it to encrypted VisionFs passwords it worked fine.

Thanks again,
treecody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back