Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO unix Parallel Port problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad73

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2001
CA
Hello:

I have a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine connected to two ADDS "dumb" terminals via a Perle Specialix I/O device.

Sometimes the terminals work fine, bt at least once or twice each day the terminal displays "garbage" and gives a highlighted message at the top that says...

TRANSMIT CONDIION PARALLEL PORT NO PRINTER TO CANCEL TYPE (SHIFT+CTRL+ TAB)

Ussually, I have to do this several times to get to a prompt and then finally have to exit from SCO ann then Turn off then On. Can anyone help

Thanks

ad73

Suspicion that something is trying to do a screen dump that contains the same text code that turns the printer port on.
You might check to see if you have the capability to turn the printer off in the terminal setup.
Sometimes this can occur if a user logs on from a different terminal and the system has been set for a specific terminal type for the user.
You might also check to see if the user environment is set in .profile to use the tset for switching terminal types according to log in location. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

If these terminals are the ADDS4000 (beige colored boxes with an orange power button and green led on the right front of the box)go into the terminals setup by pressing <ctrl> + <print screen> and set your ports configuration to EIA/NONE (this one of the options) save it and exit. this should cure your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back