Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO UNIX - Compare backup of file to the original

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help402

Technical User
Jul 21, 2006
US
Is there a simple way to verify that the backup of a server is exactly the same as the original? I have to ensure that if i were to load my backup tapes on a new server, it would be identicle to that of the old server. I am using sco unix. Any command or helpful tips would be appreciated.

Any chance you could say us how the backup is performed.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I have to ensure that if i were to load my backup tapes on a new server, it would be identicle to that of the old server.
You just answered your own question. The only way to "Ensure" the backup will perform as expected is to perform an actual test.
Your odds of success will vary greatly depending upon your method of backup (as queried by PHV). If this is a critical issue, you should go through the process and verify the results. There are plenty of factors which will influence your experience. Just a few:

Will the operating system license run on a new platform?
Are the applications licensed as well? Are they keyed to either the O/S license or a network MAC address?
Will the replacement server have the same IP address and network name?
Will the printers function?
User logins and passwords?

There are 3rd-party utilities which will better your odds. We use Lone-Tar, but there are others. These are equipped to enable you to boot to a special "recovery" menu which has tools to create file systems and restore the info.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Alright, the problem i am having is the block size of my files. After i perfom a backup of my server, using data tapes, a number of blocks is displayed. Once this tape is loaded onto a new server however, the block size that has been loaded is slightly different than the original. I have attempted this process numerous times, and each time the block size differs from the original by approximately 10 to 20. Does anyone know what could account for this???
The people who will be using this recovery protocal that I have created would like something that allows them to compare if the backup was identical to the original. My first thought was to have them compare block sizes, but from the aforementioned problem, that does not work. is there a command in sco unix to compare to directories, or sets of files to check for consistency???

thanks, any help is greatly appreciated

Create a list of checksums for your files. That wouldn't work for a full system-wide comparison, but will be sufficient if you just want to verify a set of files (like an entire DATA directory, for instance).

Old system:
# cd /data_directory
# find . -type f|xargs sum >/tmp/sum_list

New system:
(same commands)

Copy the sum_list file from one system to the other, then compare the two files:
# diff sum_list.old sum_list.new

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back