Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO unix 3.2v4. 21 IDE Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekshop

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2001
US
I am running SCO Unix Realease 3.2v4.21, I want to upgrade to an IDE Drive. I was using a scsi. When I boot my system to load the Unix system it never gets to the BOOT: prompt.

Don't like raining on parades, but moving to IDE isn't an upgrade, more like a downgrade.
Is the hang during the install onto the new disk or is it the first boot after the install?
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

It never boots for me to start the install.

Hardware BIOS problem locating/identifying the IDE drive. Do you have another one you can try? Is this an older drive, like 2 gb or less?
By your message it sounds like it never attempts to load. Once the boot starts it should take 5 to 10 seconds of dancing around on the floppy getting pieces. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

How old is the computer you're installing the drive in? Did the motherboard detect the new drive? Are you sure of your Master/Slave settings on the IDE drive?. Are you certain the new drive is any good? Since you are not getting a boot prompt, the system is failing before or at the point it checks for a bootable floppy in the disk drive. I know this may seem obvious, but make sure you did not disconnect the floppy interface cable or power cable while you were working inside the box. If you bios is set not to check for an installed floppy drive and the cable is disconnected it will not give a floppy disk fail message. In any case you have either a hardware failure, misconfigured hardware, or misconfigured bios.

I got the problem fixed. Turned out to be a bad Floppy
Drive. The alignment is off I guess it will read some boot disk and not others.
Thaks for your help and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back