Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO OS V TCP/IP Postscript printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingG

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2000
US
Visit site
We have a Royal/Mita DP1800 connected via an HP JetDirect to a 3Com hub to a SCO 5.0.5 (no patches installed) box and are having problems printing.<br>This printer did work at one time but it would not print the second and consecutive pages correctly. The first page was fine in that the data generated by our UNIX app was overlayed correctly in the right locations but every page after that the data was either missing or spread over multiple pages. (The postscript portion of each printed page always looked as it was designed to.)<br>I have used HPNP (no effect) and scoadmin printer manager to install this printer to print postscript forms used for invoices. In scoadmin printer I selected the emulator model first (didn't work but it works great at our other site) and then tried the postscript model (which didn't work at all).<br>My problem is, we have the exact same setup in another one of our offices and the printer works great over multiple invoices (printed as one print request) but for the life of me I can't make this problem child work. I can print the ps testfile (the bear)in the /usr/lib/hpnp/testfiles directory using hpnpcfg but I can't get the printer to take a job any other way.<br>I have modified /etc/hosts to reflect the printerhostname, I can ping the printerhostname, and the JetDirect IP.I have also added a route to and back.<br>I have made sure the printer is in KPDL Auto (ps2 mode) which is the same as at our other branch that is working.<br>The printer at the branch that is working is the same DP1800 and was also installed using hpnpcfg. I have verified the system software and only a few unrelated symbolic link errors were found and fixed.<br>I have also restarted the server.<br>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.<br>TIA,<br>Greg

Greg,

How big is the output file ? If it is over 1MB, you need to edit the /etc/printcap file and add mx#1000 or similar to the end of the line for this printer. The default maximum size of file that can be sent to a remote printer is 1MB.

JC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back