Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 install problems on Dell PE 1650

Status
Not open for further replies.

racarlton

IS-IT--Management
Oct 22, 2003
US
I am having a problem installing SCO Unix 5.0.6 on a Dell PE 1650. I have contacted Dell and created a PERCRAID driver disk using rawrite. I am booting off the internal IDE CDROM and issueing a bootstring. I have tried the following boot strings:
defboostr link=percraid
defboostr ahslink=percraid

When prompted for the disk, I insert it. It is accessed, I see the percraid drivers loaded with major charcter =6 returned.

Both of these strings end up with the same error which I have seen on other threads. The error is no root disk controller found. You may need a BTLD disk.

According to Dell.. This model is certified for 5.0.6 but they DO NOT support it. Does anyone have any additional information or support info that I might try.

Thanks

is ashlink in 5.0.6 also ? i thougt it was in 5.0.2.

also u have not givne the values of ha, id, lun. it is entered with bootstring like
Code:
defboostr link=percraid(0,0,0)
ur problem - "no root disk controller" implies that sco is not getting the boot hdd. normally boot hdd is at id 0. or master (incase of ide)

so check ur percraid docs and enter the full value. also check the id of ur hdd. it should be displayed while booting if ur hdd controller is a scsi ctrl

if ur are not getting the hdd id then check whether ur system is recognising the hdd or not

[ponder]
----------------
ur feedback is a very welcome desire

Since posting I have tried a percraid(bus,adapter,id,lun) format but still the percraid driver is not detected.

Does anyone have any full bootstrings or locations of such for the PE1650's PERC3/di controller?

Also since SCO certified this model, does anyone know how they do their testing and it the strings they use are documented?

i think it should be adapter, bus, id, lun. and what id di u give id of hdd or the id of controller

[ponder]
----------------

I haven't been able to fine any install docs for the controller, but it appears to be an ultra 160 class controller so the following boot string might work:

defbootstr link="percraid" Sdsk=ad160(0,0,0,0)

Hi racarlton

if ur still on this job then check the link below.
this card works on dell systems.

check ur hdd id. u have to give hdd id and Sdsk is genrally name of the link driver.

[ponder]
----------------

Thanks to all for their suggestions but none seem to be working. Even the link=percraid Sdsk=ad160(0,0,0,0) didn't work. Same message : no root disk controller found".

You would think if Dell sells these saying that SCO will work on them they would have a resource to direct you to!

Did you download the driver from DELL or someone else?

Didn't the driver come with install instructions for SCO?

The DELL website looked like they had documentation, but you have to give them a customer number to get it.

Assuming you do have the correct driver, the bootstring is going to be something like what I suggested before:

defbootstr link="percraid" Sdsk=ad160(0,0,0,0)

What may not be correct is whether it is "ad160", because that depends on the scsi controller, and without actual install docs I don't know if it is correct (for example my primary controller is dptr not ad160). However the information I found says that the PERC3/DI is in essence an AIC7899G, and ad160 is correct for the 7899 chipset.

The 4 numeric values listed after the ad160 are (Controller, Bus, ID, LUN). I recommended all 0's because we are talking about your boot hard drive, which normally should be controller 0, bus 0, ID 0, LUN 0. Since this is a RAID controller, you need to make sure the array is mapped to appear as SCSI ID 0 on SCSI bus 0. You should also make sure there are no other SCSI controllers before the PERC3, and that you have disabled the primary IDE controller.

Have you looked at thread58-105536
it deals with the perc driver and says the driver name is amird (per annihilannic). i have never used these cards so i can't say for sure.

I found the following on the DELL site, which you may already have seen.

Here are some alternate bootstrings to try:

defbootstr link=amird
defbootstr link="amird" Sdsk=ad160(0,0,0,0)
defbootstr link="percraid" Sdsk=alad(0,0,0,0)
defbootstr link="amird" Sdsk=alad(0,0,0,0)

Have you attempted to install DOS or some other OS on the hard drive just to see if you can get it to boot?

The problem may not be your bootstring, it may be your hardware settings.

There are two families of PERC:

[ul][li]The LSI Logic (formerly AMI) models: PERC/1, PERC/2SC, PERC2/DC, PERC3/SC, PERC3/DC, etc.
[li]The Adaptec models: PERC 2/Di, 3/Di, etc.[/ul]

The information I supplied previously would have been for the AMI family, the only ones which I have used successfully with SCO.

Annihilannic.

i think 2 ares to be lloked into one is the name of the driver and id, lun parameters. i rember correctly then in one of the RAID controllers of HP the docs staed LUN = 1

[ponder]
----------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back