Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sco openserver 5.0.5 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

haz43

Programmer
Jan 2, 2003
AU
I am trying to install the above operating system on the following machine:

P4 2GHz CPU
1024MB RAM
MSI 6566E Rev. 1 (845E Max) motherboard
64MB GF2MX-400 AGP video card
Adaptec 2100S SCSI RAID Controller
2 X 18GB Fujitsu MAN3184MC SCSI HDDs
3 X 18GB Quantum Atlas10K3 SCSI HDDs
Seagate Scorpion 40 tape drive
IDE Primary/Master CDROM
3COM 3C905CX NIC

Install is started as follows:
boot: defbootstr link=dpti5 Sdsk=dpti(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0,0) mem=1m-1024m

The mem option is used since otherwise the install seems to incorrectly size the memory and hangs. As mentioned SCSI channel has single RAID5 array using all disks (ID0-4), tape at ID6 and of course controller is ID7. With these options the installer starts without any hitches, except that it detects the tape drive at ID2 which is incorrect. Install type is standard host without database services, all packages minus language support are selected, and all other steps are completed without problems.

The problem is that the installer refuses to autodetect ANY NICs. It fails to detect the 3COM card, another card of the same model which is known to work, a Netgear FA-311 and the onboard Intel ICH4 + 82562ET interface.

I have no idea how to find out the correct parameters (bus, device, function) to manually configure, but it seems that whatever values I choose for these works, but then when trying to configure “Network Address” I get the following:

“Because no network software has been selected for installation, network card and address configuration are not available.”

“To install network software, return to the optional software form.”

Double and triple checking the optional software form reveal no extra packages. I have selected everything!

Can anyone help me?

I believe ID 2 is default for tape drives. The install is setting it to the default instead of detecting the drive. Manually changing it is the correct solution for this.

How are you installing the NIC? For my 3Com Etherlink PCI the drivers did not come standard with SCO. I had to copy the driver media image from the 3Com supplied diskette, then install the drivers from that media image before the OS could detect the card. I had to do this separately after the rest of the OS was installed. You should check the documentation or 3Com's website regarding special SCO install instructions for the NIC.

Another possibility could be an interrupt conflict between the NIC and something else.

Driftwood30, where did you get your information? Just because hardware isn't listed under Caldera certification doesn't mean it won't work. Many Sco driver's come from the manufacturers and other 3rd party sources who provide their own certification for a given OS.

Since 3COM provides a SCO driver for the 3C905CX I would say that it likely IS compatible( I also have seen several 3rd party SCO driver listings for the NetGear FS311.

.. and FWIW I have a Netgear FA311 working well with this driver:

NETGEAR FA311 Ethernet Driver for Openserver 5.0 (ver 1.20)

though as apeasecpc suggests, I had to add it after O/S installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back