Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO On the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerald

Programmer
Apr 10, 2000
US
Hi, a real SCO rookie here. :)<br><br>Right now, I have an NT file server, and a Windows 2000 server acting as a router for our DSL internet connection in our office.<br><br>We also have SCO OpenServer, and I am able to connect to all of the local computers, including the router.<br><br>However, we are unable to ping anything that is not local with SCO.<br><br>I believe I tried setting the default gateway to the IP number of the router, but that did not seem to work. Maybe I did not do it right.<br><br>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Gerald<br>

Gerald,<br><br>I assume you have tried the following command:<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;/etc/route add default 1.2.3.4 <br><br>where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of your gateway?<br><br>If you haven't, and that works, create a script called S99route in your /etc/rc2.d directory containing:<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;echo &quot;Configuring default route.&quot;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;/etc/route add default 1.2.3.4 2&gt;&1 &gt; /dev/null<br><br>and your default routing will be configured each time the machine is booted.&nbsp;&nbsp;Make sure you 'chmod 755' it so that it is executable.<br><br>I recently saw a script called /etc/rc2.d/S99iproute on a SCO box - can anyone tell me whether this is an effort (finally) on SCO's part to simplify the configuration of a default route?&nbsp;&nbsp;It appeared to be using /etc/routes as a config script?<br><br>Annihilannic.

I beleive the /etc/rc2.d/S99iproute does serve this purpose. I have found that if I remove my S99route script that the default gateway only updates about 50 percent of the time after a reboot. I think this has to do with the timing and execution of another process or proccesses.<br><br>This has just my experience. <br><br> <p>Danny Daniels<br><a href=mailto:dannyd@aboveboardelectronics.com>dannyd@aboveboardelectronics.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back