Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO MMDF causing system lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qman61832

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2003
US
I have read some of the other posts in here, and found them helpful, however since I am still a newbie to Unix, I am not 100% sure if what I did solved the problem...
Here is what I have tried so far:

It appears that the system is trying to deliver mail constantly, and it cannot be delivered. This results in a notification of failed mail, which also cannot be delivered. It seems that there is an endless loop of undeliverable mail, resulting in more undeliverable mail.

Followed instructions from (command: find . -type f -print | xargs rm) for cleaning the queue files, got quite a few that said "rm: ./addr/msg. non-existent"
Cleaning process caused even worse lag, had to cancel it to allow other users to do their work. I may need to run this later when no one is on the system to allow it to complete...
Ran the "clnlock" utility, that completed ok.
Checked the /usr/spool/mmdf/tmp file, it is empty
Checked /usr/spool/locks folder - it is also empty
Checked /usr/spool/mail directory, there are entries for all the usernames on the system with lock icons on them with the exception of root, root.bak, and root.bak.bak. (I assume this is because I am logged in as root)

The questions I have at this point are:
-How can I prevent the system from retrying undelivered messages? Or even turn off MMDF altogether?
-How can I get rid of currently undelivered messages or at least check to see if they are still in the system and may cause a problem later?

Try running down the possibilities in TA# 112461, especially the possibility that some process has changed the ownership and/or perms of users home directories, or the perms on MMDF itself are incorrect. Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services
Caldera Authorized Partner
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Fax: (413) 714-2833

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back