Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO 5.0.7 with SATA drives 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheshireDan

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
GB
We currently run with SCO 5.0.7 on Dell Optiplex 170 with IDE drives. These boxes are going end of life.

We have been offered Dell 210 machines with SATA drives. I have heard that SATA is not supported under 5.0.7. Are there any work arounds? What options do I have?

I think there are some SATA controllers which are support with 5.0.7 (using a BTLD disk).
I just tried to install 5.0.7 on a new Dell (SC430) and it didn't find the SATA-attached disk. I just installed 6.0.0 instead, but that might not be a choice in your circumstance. I didn't try looking for a BTLD driver, as I was already planning to go with the newer OS version.

Try to get details on the SATA controller. I know some of the Intel-based M/B's have drivers for 5.0.7.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Hi DAn,
I am not sure of Dell computers but I know ACER server
320 or 530 will support SATA drives and are certified for SCO 5.07. It comes with an integrated SATA controller and RAID 0,1.
I hope this may help.

We are in the situation were we are asked to recomend servers to our clients, we have run into the same problem with the SATA drives. We have been told that SATA drives for SCO 5.0.7 are not very reliable so we stay away from them. When we recomend a server configuration to our clients we recomend SCSI instead.
Joe

For SATA drive in legacy mode:
ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/507/drivers/wd.suppcd3/

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back