Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCO 5.0.7 V and Remote Printing and CUPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2000
US
I have over the years worked with many SCO systems with the supplement installed and needed to remove CUPS so rlp would work. I am working with a 5.0.7V [vmWare version] and it includes the supplement and has CUPS installed BUT the custom utility will NOT allow me to remove it. when i have CUPS selected REMOVE SOFTWARE is not available. Anyone run into this before?

Steve Bowman
Independent Technology, Inc.
CA, USA

What is the content of /etc/default/lpd ?
tip:
PRINT_SYSTEM=SYSV

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

YES that is what it says

Steve Bowman
CA, USA

more spacific
OLD_PORT_COMPATIBLE=YES
DIALUPPRINTER=YES
PRINT_SYSTEM=SYSV

Steve Bowman
CA, USA

So, you don't use CUPS !
What is your real issue ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

i do not use CUPS but i do print to a Lantronix Print Server via setting up an rlp printer on the unix side. on most of my 5.0.7 boxes the supplement that installes the CUPS has always broken my rlp printers. lpstat -a lpstat -v does not even show them. but once i remove the CUPS all goes back to normal. have had to do it about 12 times over the years. Now i am doing my first 5.0.7V image from SCO and it has the supplement patch already installed with no way to remove it. i did test removing the entire supplement with the idea of reinstalling it but that just MUCKED everything up good. So i guess the real issue is

1. how to restore rlp functionality on a 5.0.7V with CUPS installed

2. how to setup a remote printer using CUPS. i do have to claim ignorance here :( i do not have any experance using CUPS and would say that is why i am always looking to uninstall it.

Steve Bowman
CA, USA

man rlpconf

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back