Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCN with multiple VMPro servers--IP routes failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

twvnet

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2005
US
Currently have 6 systems linked together via IP routes (IP lines on each, Voice Networking enabled on all). We set up a full mesh, based on information in the Small Community Networking Job Aid.

Since the addition of the 5th and 6th systems last Friday, 4-digit dialing and IP dialing has failed on a daily basis, and the only fix is to reboot all 6 systems. Avaya support says they don't support a full mesh with Voice Networking enabled--that AVRIP creates a routing loop, and that's the cause for all the failures. However, if we don't enable VN, users in the branch offices lose the capability to search all employees in the Directory (a feature that's heavily used).

Further complicating the issue is the fact that we have four VM Pro servers in the mix, and 2 of the 6 sites share a voice mail server with another site (Centralized Voicemail). Avaya support is also saying that they don't support Voice Networking with multiple Voicemail Pro servers--that you'd have to host voice mail on one system and point all the other systems to it for routing and voice mail.

Has anyone had success implementing 4-digit dialing in an environment with multiple Voicemail Pro servers? If so, how'd you do it?

It seems to me that using one vmail server would make more sense in your situation, unless there is a specific reason for multiple vmail servers that you havnt made us aware of. You could use group messageing company wide and same for forwarding vmail msg's. Four digit dialing works fine with many sites linked together via scn. I would think that the vmail would have nothing to do with your scn and routing problems of extension #'s. That is a function of the IPO. Its likely that you have a conflict in your dial plan. I would use the configuration wizard to find the possible errors. If you use contact store, it would also make sense to have one vmail server, otherwise, you may find yourself down the road purhasing two sets of licenses because you have two servers instead of one (Twice the exspense). That would be the same for most licenses, such as softconsole, phone manager, and many others. Bottom line, go to ONE server just as AVAYA recommends. If there is ever a problem, avaya will never support you because of your setup. Hope that helps...

If i remeber my docs about SCN well ( and i do ) then creating a fully meshed SCN is not exactly what Avaya has in mind for a SCN.
According to the Avaya doc's there must be one main site were all others have to go to.
Using four VM Pro's within one SCN don't really make any sense.

I advise you to :
Either stop the SCN for those sites having their own VM Pro or leave it as it is but use only one VM Pro.
And unmesh you SCN, it can really mess up your configs( i have experienced that! )

The funny thing is fact that is works then the lines lock up.

I have the same problem with a system not using meshed network and using the wan port with x21 with 5 systems. On system seems to fail more than the others and it is almost consistant with the last to join the SCN

Running all the configs through the wizard then comparing all the extension names and numbers across the sites might help.

What versions of software are you running on all the sites? how are you connecting the IPO to the meshed network, wan or lan ports ?

Avaya will only support a non-meshed SCN network.
You need only one IP trunk at each of the remotes pointing to a designated "Central Site". The central site should have an IP trunk and a routing table entry for each of the remotes. The remote sites can have a full routing table listing all of the peer IPO's. But once again, only one IP trunk.

From IP Office Manager Help File:

Requirements
To set up a small community network, the following are required:

A working LAN or WAN link exists between the IP Office systems and that the link has been tested for correct data traffic routing.

For Small Community Networks of more than two IP Office systems, a star network configuration is recommended.(Read as Required)(This is the only document that states the limit on a SCN)
VCM modules are required in the remote and central systems.
The extension and group numbering on both systems must be unique.
The extension and group names on both systems must be unique.
We also recommend that all names and numbers (groups, line, services, etc) on the separate IP Office systems are kept unique. This will reduce potential maintenance confusion.

All systems should use the same set of Telephony timeouts, especially the Default Allocated Answer Interval (System | Telephony).

For more information on the role of the VCM module in handling VoIP calls, see VCM & Data Channels.

For details on using a single Voicemail Pro server to provide voicemail services in an IP Office Small Community Network, see the Voicemail Pro Installation & Maintenance Manual.

VCM modules are required in the remote and central systems"

You can do SCN without VCM, just without VoIP and calling features. Extension calling can be simulated with LCR

I love 3 letter acronyms !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back