Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

School Administration Problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derbyshire

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2002
GB
Hello, I am new administrator in a small school, in Derbyshire. Often, teachers approach me with a CDROM in their hands, and ask me if I could "stick it on the server", so that the pupils can access the program from their workstations.
The truth is that I do not know if this is possible.
Normally I load the application onto each workstation and create a shortcut into the pupil's profile. Can someone clarify this process for me? Thanks JR

Most software will not run that way (unless you're running terminal services). There are some applications that can be installed in a central location and run from anywhere, however. If you want to test without cluttering your server, install it on your machine or a test machine and see if you can run it from another machine. Or, if all else fails, read the manual. (Must resist... using.. that.. acronym...) Marc Creviere

I would recommend adding a cd rom server to your network

I have installed a few in schools and libraries that I have consulted for.

You can get some good deals on used and even new servers on ebay!

MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=cd+rom+server&ht=1&itemtimed
isp=1&st=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&BasicSearch=

This is the best way to have multiple users access 1 copy of a cd rom throughout the network.

Let me know how things work out,

Good Luck! :)

Brian Velkavrh
Sr. Consultant - BPV Webdesigns
Network+ Certified Engineer
bpvlogo.gif

I agree - CD server would be the best route. That way you don't clog up hard drives, and you won't run into the problem of installation - although most programs need to have a mapping to a particular folder to install, most will install over a network. -= Beer is food! Is it suppertime? =-
If ya like the info on the posts - rate them helpful!

I'd recommend a CD server as well, but with a twist. If you're brave enough to get it working, you can set up a linux box to do it. To give an overview:

1) Set up linux.
2) Create cd images of the cd(s) that you wish to share.
3) Install SAMBA.
4) Share cd images so clients can burn their own (optional).
5) Use loopback device to mount images on another directory.
6) Create a shared directory with links to the real directory for each CD so that the image(s) can be automounted.

This allows the clients to access the cd images as image files as well as allowing access to the contents of the images. There's an article on it at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back