Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Schema Update ?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxzzzzzz

Programmer
Jul 10, 2002
US
Has anyone been told to be careful having more than one person (Administrator) with the ability to update the schema since there can be conflicts if more than one person updates at the same time? We are rolling our first project out to our powerusers this week, and right now nobody but the Administrator has the ability to do schema update. I want to be sure this won't cause problems.

Thanks!!

If you are in a 3-tier project then you won't have this problem because the intelligence server will not allow two users to update the schema at the same time. I am not sure what happens if two users are in a 2-tier mode and they update the schema at the same time.
OV

I guess one can update the schema in a 2-tier mode at the same time when another is in 3-tier mode.
But I would suggest never to update the schema in a 2-tier mode. It is not recommended. A while ago in 7.1.2 I had tried doing so. The project had got corrupted. I was able to replicate the issue. Then on, I have always used 3-tier.

Never, ever, EVER run 2-tier with more than one person.
Never, ever, ever, EVER run 2-tier when an I-Server is running on the MD.

Just say no to 2-tier.

I'm still recovering from the trauma...

I agree 100% w/ entaroadun -- if there was ever one golden rule with MicroStrategy it is that you should work in 3-tier whenever possible...even when working locally.

2-tier should only be used for testing connectivity...otherwise there is absolutely no benefit to working in 2-tier.

Chael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back