Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Schema owner's password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E3p0

Technical User
May 31, 2001
US
Is there a way to figure out a schema owners password when it is not known? I know the system schema's password, but there is one schema we do not know the password for, and I do not want to change it in the event it is hard coded in a report or something. Help??

Never be afraid to ask for help!

Hi,
Since that is also that user's password, ask them for it..

If not then you are out of luck...As well you should be in a secure system - The DBA, obviously, can change it but if someone has foolishly hard-coded it in an app, the app will fail ( as you noted)..

[profile]

In which case it will quickly be apparent which application has the password hard-coded in it!
The trick will be to implement a non-hardcoded password method in that application.

Thanks folks it is what I figured. They (FileNET software vendor) stated if I had changed the password I would have some problems, but they were able to provide me with the password. The person I spoke with couldn't tell me if it was hard coded or used a config file to refrence the schema's so I am waiting on another reply from them.

Thanks again

Never be afraid to ask for help!

Hi,
And if the hard-coded password is in the app's code, you may be able to read the password with any hex editor..

[profile]

or you could do a google on "Oracle password crack" and find something like:

I didn't actually download/test this but in principle it should be no different (other that Oracle's non-standard encryption) than any # of password crackers (ex. "John the ripper") for *nix or M$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back