Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduling Backups 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdnaf

MIS
Feb 23, 2001
GB
I've just taken over an NT 4.0 server which we manually backup every day. I have been told the scheduler doesn't work correctly because of a problem with the licencing module. Sounds mad to me, has anyone else experienced this?

Test it, create a folder place a txt file in it and run Scheduler to delete it. Then you can know for sure. But know Ive never heard of Scheduler not running because of license issue.

The Geek

Dont be afraid to share what you know. There are no losers in our arena, only self rightous monkeys atop their own tree.

Mr Geek i have a question for you! i get a sharing violation everytime i try to back up the ntuser.dat file how can i get around that?

Since the scheduler runs as a service, be certain that it is started with the proper account with the correct priviledges to perform the task you desire. This is a common problem, when, for example, using the scheduler to run ntbackup on other servers in the domain, when the scheduler does not have the correct privideges

I also have a question. We have NT 4.0 and I can backup manually. But when I use the scheduler it fails all the time. It wasn't always like this.
In the beginning it worked correct, but we had to do a restore for 1 off our workstations. Since that, the scheduler won't work correct anymore.
I get an error saying overwrite protected media or allocated media. And this morning I only got the msg failed.
I allready turned all media to scratchmedia and changed the overwrite protection and the mediasets but still no succes.
Could someone please find out what it is.X-)

cptkirkh:

ntuser.dat is part of profile file, most likely (from how it sounds) of a currently logged on user (administrator, in case of server). If you REALLY want to back it up ( and I wouldn't understand, why,since it's not of any particular value, unless your administrative account has an extremely complicated configuration), you can purchase a special backup software, that is able to backup SAM database (I would recommend Veritas), otherwise, you can to try to:
1.schedule to backup this only ntuser.dat file in about, say, 3 minutes;
2.log out of the box, and wait for 5 minutes;
3.log back on, and check out the log file.

ntuser.dat is always open when someone is logged into the station (each ntuser.dat for each user), so it cannot be backed up ,since it's open all the time.

Evita:

I am having an impression, that, since you restored some data, the Restore function never LOGICALLY replaced the media in the slot; go to Backup, and, CAREFULLY, read, what kind of media is selected to perform a backup. If it is something with a name, it's most likely a wrong one.

The backup database keeps track of all the tapes used; if you try to reuse a recorded tape for another backup without erasing it first, it won't go.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back