Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

schedules

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxbah

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
US
Hi,
Is it possible to create a fortnightly schedule. I have one tape drive which cannot backup all clients. I was planning on splitting them into two groups and then backup each group on separate weeks. So it would be like:

Week1: Group1 full on sunday, incremental rest of week
week2: same thing for group2 and skip backups for group1.

Thanks,

Would it not be easier to have 2 schedules?
Group1sched. Full on Sunday, inc rest of week, skip next week.
Group2sched. Skip week, Full on Sunday, inc rest of week.

The problem is that this schedule:
full on SUnday, inc rest of week, skip next week is a two week period schedule which I cannot create. The GUI lets me create either weekly or monthly schedules.

Then you would need to create a weekly schedule, with full Sunday,m inc every other day and switch which clients use this once a week.

It can be done, but not through the GUI.

You do need 2 schedules, and you will need to use the command line utility nsradmin to set up the schedule.

Look at the man page on nsr_schedule for an example on how to use the override field to do what you want.

Yes, it possible to create "custom" schedule. For example, from the networker admin gui, you can't create a schedule like the "full on first friday" schedule that ships with networker. You have to go through the command line utilities to do it.

Read the man pages for nsradmin and nsr_schedule. Pay special attention to the section on Overrides and how they work. I had to expermiment with the repeating overrides before I got the schedules working the way I wanted. There isn't much info on what the "first" keyword really does to the schedule.

The easiest way to check the schedule is to issue your command line changes, then check the schedule visually with the gui admin.

I tried ist with nsradmin / nsr_schedule, but the system couldn´t open a schedule. It´s seems that nsradmin don´t find an editor for use.

I have an W2K server. So were is no VI for use. I set the enviroment variable EDITOR (described in the man-pages), filled with notepad.exe.

Has anyone tried it also?
Where is my mistake?

If you get onto your server and just type nsradmin (no options), you should go into command line mode.

From there, you need to first tell it what you want to work with. If you're working with a schedule, you would see something like thie following:

nsradmin> print name:schedule_name;type:"nsr schedule"
type: NSR schedule;
name: schedule_name;
period: Week;
action: skip incr incr incr incr skip;
override: full 2 friday every 4 week;

Then, if you wanted to modify the overrides, you would use something like

nsradmin> update override: full 2 saturday every 4 week;

Note, this is for a repeating override (can't do that from the GUI that I can see...)

It will take some experimentation to figure things out. Play with it on new-unused schedules first and check it in the gui to see if it's the schedule that you want (the repeating overrided *will* show up in the GUI however...you just can't set them).

Hope this helps.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back