Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduled Tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopro

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
GB
I am trying to set up a scheduled task on a machine with 1 Admin and 1 Normal User.
The task doesn't run at the specified time but does not show an error or reason why.
Another machine on the network - with 2 users and no admin runs the scheduled task OK providing a password is entered.
Does it need to be logged in as admin to operate?
Should it work if no access passwords are used at all, or is there a default password in these circumstances?

Keith

I ran into this issue as I was putting a program together to run a routine on a pc. What I came up with is to use the AT command. This doesn't require a password. Load it on the machine as Admin. After it is in place, if the user isn't an admin the scheduled task runs. You never have to mess with passwords. Search in Win XP pro help on AT command. They give go details on how to use AT command.

Drawback of using the scheduled task in control panel is you must put a password in. Now if the customer changes their password every 60 days, that scheduled task will not run again unless you delete it or possibly have to delete and redo.

My AT command would go out and run a bat file for me. The AT command is done in DOS. You can drill the command down to run on certain days of the week at certain times. There are many other parameters that can be used as well. Let us know if this works for you.

Control Panel/ Scheduled Tasks/ Advanced (menu item)/ View Log.

This should provide an explanation for any failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back