Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scheduled tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntunB

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2003
AU
if i have a schedulded task and it is set to run as system

if i copy the task(test.job) and put it on another computer the user gets changed to the user loged onto that machine

and when its time to run the task it says could not start.

what i want to know is:
is there a way to schedule a task on a remote pc and get it to work, the machine needs no rights at all to run the task (doesnt need to be an admin i mean)

i would want it to do it in a batch level, 300 machines

what i was hoping was to set the task on my machine, copy it to a shared drive, run a script at logon that would copy the .job file to the apropriate directory and run the task.
thanks

is this possible?

ok i have been reading around and it looks as though the credentials are lost, thats why it fails, it gets lost because it creates a key on the coputer you have, so if you change computers it loses this key, thus losing the credentials

so is there another way to do this?

thanks

ok i found another thing, but i just ran into a wall

i found this command line "schtasks"
and you can set it o run as system

however if a user that does not hav admin rights runs it, it doesnt work

Just look at the AT command

H:\>at /?
The AT command schedules commands and programs to run on a computer at
a specified time and date. The Schedule service must be running to use
the AT command.

AT [\\computername] [ [id] [/DELETE] | /DELETE [/YES]]
AT [\\computername] time [/INTERACTIVE]
[ /EVERY:date[,...] | /NEXT:date[,...]] "command"

The AT command does not let him pass alternate credentials for the scheduled task, but schtasks will"

/s Computer : Specifies the name or IP address of a remote computer (with or without backslashes). The default is the local computer.

/u [domain\]user : Runs the command with the permissions of the specified user account. By default, the command runs with the permissions of the user logged on to the computer running SchTasks.

/p password : Specifies the password of the user account specified in the /u parameter. This parameter is required when the /u parameter is used.

/ru {[Domain\]User | "System"} : Runs the tasks with the permission of the specified user account. By default, the task runs with the permissions of the user logged on to the computer running SchTasks.

Value Description

[Domain\]User
Specifies a user account.

"System" or ""
Specifies the NT Authority\System account, which is used by the operating system.

/rp Password : Specifies the password of the user account that is specified in the /ru parameter. If you omit this parameter when specifying a user account, SchTasks.exe prompts you for the password and obscures the text you type. Tasks run with with permissions of the NT Authority\System account do not require a password and SchTasks.exe does not prompt for one.

at u need to be a local admin to use

ill hav a look at the runas tool, thanks bcastner

ill let u kno how it goes

that tool is actually good

i used a tool called sauner before that culd use the runas command through command line, however the password was not encrypted

this is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back