Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduled Tasks: Notify Me of Missed Tasks DOESN'T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesh

Programmer
Jul 24, 2001
US
Hi,

Exactly HOW does the scheduler notify the user of the missed task? I've set the option properly, but didn't get a notification when I intentionally caused a task to be missed by typing a bad password for an existing scheduled task. Should I expect an email from Outlook? a popup message box like the one Net Send shows?

Our daily task sometimes doesn't run because the password expires, so we're having a person check the scheduler every day to make sure it ran, which sort of defeats the purpose of the scheduler.

THanks for any pointers!

Far as I can tell it's supposed to send a pop-up message. It doesn't work on my copy of Win2k Pro either.

Task scheduler keeps a log of completed/failed tasks at c:\winnt\SchedLgU.txt which may be useful in your monitoring.

Here's my theory on system monitoring for what it's worth. I would rather receive a daily notification that the task completed successfully rather than if the task failed. If I get my daily message/email I know all is well.

If a task only notifies me when it fails then how would I know if someone accidently deleted the task, stopped the Task scheduler service or the messenger service, etc.

I would write a batch file that runs the program and uses the If Errorlevel batch command to check the return code. If it succeeds then use Net Send to send yourself a message.
If you don't get your daily success message then you know you had a problem that day.
DanD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back