Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduled Tasks not running at Logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dak2k

MIS
Jan 4, 2001
GB
I'm trying to set up scheduled tasks to run at logon using the Tasks folder which is installed as part of IE5.5.

I installed IE5.5 successfully, and have created the task using the New Task dialogue box. I tested the task by running it manually and also setting it for a few minutes ahead and waiting for it to trigger and it did so and ran to completion.

I then set the task to run on user logon, but it fails to run when I log off and log back on again. (I am currently logging on with full admin rights as a test, so it's not a permissions problem). I then tried the same trying to activate something simple like notepad and clock but neither of these were activated. (I even checked the task list in case they were running non-interactively). I have even gone as far as doing a full reboot to see if this is required to get the jobs to run.

Anybody got any suggestions why these jobs aren't running at logon even though they are set to do so, and more importantly what I can do to resolve it?!

Thanks for your time.

if all you need is for the task(s) to run on logon..regardless of the user, set it up as a system service. Once you have done so, you can set the typical service properties such as start automatically, etc...

My best guess as to why the scheduler is failing, is because your logon event is invoked and overwith before the system checks the scheduler...therefore, it will always act as though the job does not exist. This is, of course, assuming nothing is happening upon logon as opposed to an actual error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back