Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduled Rpt [with events] indicates Invalid Printer but printer printer works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statey603

Programmer
Nov 10, 2009
US
Overview:
I have a group of 3 reports scheduled on our BOE 4.0 Server and chained together using events. These reports all print on the same network printer. They are all scheduled for 9:30pm. Reports 2 and 3 are dependant on the previous report as well as the scheduled time.

Details:
Rpt 1 is configured to run at 9:30pm with no input trigger and fires Event [Rpt 1 Successful] on a successful execution. Rpt 2 is configured to run at 9:30pm and with Event [Rpt 1 Successful] as an input trigger. Rpt 2 is also configured to fire Event [Rpt 2 Successful] on a successful execution. Rpt 3 is configured to run at 9:30pm and with Event [Rpt 2 Successful] as an input trigger.

The last 3 nights, Rpt 1 and Rpt 3 printed successfully but Rpt 2 did not print and showed a Failed status.

Questions:
So there are 2 mysteries.
1. Why doesn't Rpt 2 print. The printer is working fine since Rpts 1 and 3 print successfully.
2. Why does Rpt 3 print if Rpt 2 fails. I am wondering if the Rpt 2 Event Success is firing after it runs but before it prints [rpt ran but couldn't print].

I tried scheduling Rpt 2 for a 1-time execution to the same printer (with no input or output events) and it printed fine so it seems it is not an issue internal to the actual report itself [options, format, etc].

If appreciate any information if anyone has seen this or can shed light on event behavior.

Thanks,
Bill

I figured out why Rpt 3 was executing. I actually had the input trigger set to Rpt 1 success instead of Rpt 2 success.

I am still hoping for information about why I might be getting the Invalid Printer failure even though all my other reports in the group and in other groups print fine.

Take a look at the report that's throwing the error in Crystal (not in BO). Go to the Page Setup option on the File menu. I suspect that there's a printer defined there that has not been configured in the "Devices and Printers" for the BO server. I would either change that so that it matches the reports that are working or set it to "No Printer" and re-publish it.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

I deleted then recreated the scheduled instance for Rpt 2 and it successfully printed on Friday night.

fyi: per your recommendation, I checked the Page Setup in CR and Rpt 2 had the same printer as all of the other reports and it is configured on the BO server.

thanks.

Here's another easy questions (I hope).

I noticed in CMC that the various Server processes (AdaptiveJobServer, EventServer, etc) have logging enabled in their Command-Line Parameters. Does anyone know if there is a way to view logs from within CMC? I only have access to the server via CMC and BI Launchpad (not allowed access to the actual OS -> Windows Server 2008). I have not been able to find anywhere to check logs in CMC but hope that I just overlooked something.

thanks

No, you can only get to the logs from the file system on the server where BO is running.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back